*cricket noises*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: *cricket noises* Reply with quote

This place has been sort of dead since TMC opened their 'social network'. Anyone else still logging in here?
KaVir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, and there've been a few discussions here recently. Take away the flame wars and advertising from TMC/TMS/etc and they're not really any more busy...
Sandi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here every day, but I don't have much to say.

But, it's nice to know there's a serious forum where I could ask a serious question, if I had one.
Molly O'Hara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check in every day too.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the 'Social network' on TMC, that's been pretty dead lately too. It's more likely because it is summer and vacation. This time of year everything connected to Muds generally gets a bit low - (including the player base) - it's summertime in most countries, schools are closed and people are on vacation.

Nevertheless a discussion site needs a minimum 'critical mass' to stay active, because the 'frequent posters' usually respond to new posts, even if they don't start any threads on their own. And I think this place probably is a bit low on active members and could use some new ones - in fact I don't think many people that weren't in from the start knows about it. It spawned from a flamewar on TMS, so it got a lot of attention initially. but that was long ago, and most new posters don't have a clue that it exists.

It's definitely the best place for serious discussions about muds, and many of the most knowledgeable people of the Mud community are members here. But still I think some new blood would be beneficial for the activity, so we should find some ways to draw more people here. I know that one of the ground rules here is 'no advertising', but that is just to stop the moronic ads about 'come play my cool mud', and it shouldn't stop us from advertising the site to the community.

One concrete thing that I'd like to do is to put a link between this Discussion board and the site for Free Muds, that some of the members here are involved in too. Another way to advertise it would be if some of the more influential frequent posters on other boards would put the URL to here to it in their signature. That would make at least some people curious enough to check, and word could spread from there.

A more crude way to advertise it, would of course be to post a reminder about its existence on all three big Mud sites, TMC, TMS and Mudmagic. But it's a bit rude to use one discussion board to advertise another, so I'm not sure if that is a good way.

Last edited by Molly O'Hara on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Tyche

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly O'Hara wrote:

I know that one of the ground rules here is 'no advertising', but that is just to stop the moronic ads about 'come play my cool mud', and it shouldn't stop us from advertising the site to the community.

Please have the decency to promote this "come and play on our cool muds" site elsewhere.
Sandi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyche wrote:
Please have the decency to promote this "come and play on our cool muds" site elsewhere.

Please have the decency to make your insulting remarks on a board where they can be answered in kind. Flamewars are not allowed here.
Tyche

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi wrote:
Tyche wrote:

Please have the decency to make your insulting remarks on a board where they can be answered in kind. Flamewars are not allowed here.

I object to lifting rule 3 for both moronic come play our cool mud adverts and moronic come play our cool muds sites. I don't see why Molly thinks this moronic come play our cool muds site ought to have special priviledges to advertise here.

What flamewar? Nobody here has called anyone names. It's not a mechanism to censor and stifle discussion just because someone's hobby horse is being gored. But yeah it does kind of crank me off that she would be presumptious enough to suggest such a thing.

Last edited by Tyche on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Alayla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with Tyche. It'd be cleaner to leave out any links to any mud lists on here. That doesn't mean you can't put a link to Mudlab on there, however. Razz
Sandi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyche wrote:
I object to lifting rule 3 for both moronic come play our cool mud adverts and moronic come play our cool muds sites.

It looks to me like you've called KaVir, Molly, myself, and everyone else working on the FQM project a moron.

Tyche wrote:
What flamewar? Nobody here has called anyone names. It's not a mechanism to censor and stifle discussion just because someone's hobby horse is being gored.

All right, then let's discuss...

The real question is, why are you so full of hatred? Why are there so many groups of individuals you can not refer to without resorting to derogatory terms? How do you reconcile this with your trappings of Christianity? Do you belong to a church? Do they accept you as a member of the congregation, or do you just shuffle in, sit at the back, and leave quietly? Are you seen as a heretic? Someone whose vindictive rhetoric betrays an empty heart that could never follow in His footsteps, no matter how great the desire?

Or do they only know you as Jon... would it embarass you to have some of Tyche's tirades read from the altar on Sunday morning?

I'm just asking, because you've made it clear on many occasions you hate me and others like me, and you often give religious justifications. I'd genuinely like to know what causes you to be driven by predjudice rather than reason, and if you are able to integrate all these beliefs into a coherent personality.
Molly O'Hara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit.

Why the aggression Tyche?

I made some suggestions about how we could promote this discussion board a bit more, to make it better known around, since i think it would be a good idea to get some more posters in here. One of the suggestions was a link from another site that we control. Perhaps it escaped your attention that the main purpose was to advertise this discussion board, not the other way around.

If this very innocent suggestion was so offensive to you, I naturally withdraw it, and apologise for even mentioning the ugly word 'advertise' on this holy board.
Tyche

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly O'Hara wrote:

Perhaps it escaped your attention that the main purpose was to advertise this discussion board, not the other way around.

No it did not escape my attention that you meant to advertise that site here.

Just as clearly as you've edited your original post from this:
Quote:
One concrete thing that I'd like to do is to put a link and backlink between this Discussion board and the site for Free Muds, that some of the members here are involved in too.

to this:
Quote:
One concrete thing that I'd like to do is to put a link between this Discussion board and the site for Free Muds, that some of the members here are involved in too.

I saved the cached thread here: http://jlsysinc.gotdns.com/crickets.htm

Holy shit is right. I never thought I'd see a poster here deliberately do an edit like the above.
Molly O'Hara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really can be a sanctimonious prick at times, Tyche. Neutral

Don't you think that if I had the evil intentions you seem so convinced about, I would at least have edited my post using a preposition that actually did suggest a one-way communication? Like for instance 'a link to this Discussion board from the site for Free Muds'? Not 'between', which at least in my dictionary means a two-way communication. (English may not be my first language, but I do know my prepositions well enough to know the difference).

And yes, a two-way link was what I had in mind, that's how banner exchanges usually work. You put a link on your site and get another in return. Both parties benefit.

I have always interpreted the 'no advertisments' rule to have the purpose of keeping adverts out of the actual discussion threads. It never really entered my mind that a simple banner exchange could be considered dirty.

But, like I said, the suggestion is withdrawn.

And now perhaps we could go back to discussing the thing that actually was the main point of my post:
How can we make this Discussion Forum more commonly known?

As one of the persons that founded the Forum, I'd hate to see it die from lack of oxygen, like 'The Mind's Eye', or whatever the_logos exclusive Forum was called.
Tyche

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi wrote:
Tyche wrote:
I object to lifting rule 3 for both moronic come play our cool mud adverts and moronic come play our cool muds sites.

It looks to me like you've called KaVir, Molly, myself, and everyone else working on the FQM project a moron.

You've already indicated that you thought it was insulting even before I added the term moronic.
I copied it from Molly. Ask her what it means.

Sandi wrote:

All right, then let's discuss...

Hate has nothing to do with my objection. Fascinating tactics though. It's possible that your group needs to come up with a better marketing plan to promote your free elite muds site.
Drey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I known what this was going to turn in to, I would not have posed the question in the first place.
Tyche

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drey wrote:
Had I known what this was going to turn in to, I would not have posed the question in the first place.

Shhh, I can't hear the crickets.

Speaking of insects I notice this forum has been invaded by a swarm of locusts. There's been ~400 new users in the last 4 or 5 months. Almost all but a handful are randomly generated and certainly fake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Meta All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: