Dynamic social system -> eliminate 'emote' !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spazmatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From your previous example, I didn't see how this could be done via an "rmote" alias. But, feel free to enlighten me and I'll use your approach instead.

I'll make a (possibly incorrect) assumption here, but then again, most things require assumptions.

We're only going to vary the emote/rmote/xemote/whatever when the NUMBER and/or TYPE of argument varies.

So, you wouldn't be able to have "smile Bob" give a special smile just for Bob, but you could have "kiss" and "kiss Bob" and "kiss sword" give different results (the latter two being due to differences in argument type). You could even do "kiss bob sword". This would be computationally painful (late binding always is!), but certainly feasible within an alias/emote system.

Just allow your emote system to reject and/or accept based on equivalence of arguments... ie

$N = Player Name
$I = Item Name
bla bla bla

So then, when a player does "alias kiss emote gives $N a big smooch" and "alias kiss emote kisses $I", you can just record the parameter requirements, and check them at runtime. Done. Minimal change. No confusing scripting involved on the player's side, no long variable names like SelfRoomWithTargInForestUnderBleachersAtNoonInRainWithAWindChillFactorOfFive.

Work?

And it can still be done dynamically, so IF you happen to be in the forest under the bleachers at noon in the rain with a wind chill factor of five, you can just do a different kiss. Smile
Tyche

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spazmatic wrote:

[1]
We're only going to vary the emote/rmote/xemote/whatever when the NUMBER and/or TYPE of argument varies.
[2]
$N = Player Name
$I = Item Name
bla bla bla

Just in passing I see both as possibly bad user interfaces. Not to get too philosophical but do you see the analogy/connection between [1] and...

foo_e(int bar, char* baz);
foo_r(char* baz);
foo_xe(char* baz, float bing);

and between [2] and...

x = (foo*)y;
x = (bar*)z;

Is it true that programmers might tend to define user interfaces in terms that may not be compatible with the perceptions of their users?

Why foist what look to me like functional signature and type constraints on users?

Is early binding by the user, painful? Wink
Spazmatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just in passing I see both as possibly bad user interfaces. Not to get too philosophical but do you see the analogy/connection between [1] and...

Yes. I do.

However, while I wouldn't implement this, I'm offering an option for him, to achieve his goals. I honestly believe the idea of self-defining socials with the same name but multiple functions is... BAD. But, hey, it's not my goal, and I think this is a good way to achieve the goal - definitely better than 95 million flags for every scenario.
ChristopherA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teelf wrote:
Skotos has a fairly advanced system for eliminating emote that they call the evocation system.

This article is a quite a bit out of date now. The latest system seperates verbs from actions.

For instance, the verb "feel" triggers the following actions "verb/feel", "sense/touch", and "action/touch". verb/feel should be used rarely, for when there is no synonym possible. sense/touch is triggered for every soft, sensing touch, but not for things like hit. action/touch is used for every verb that when successful touches, either softly or hard.

-- Christopher Allen (Skotos Tech)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    mudlab.org Forum Index -> Design All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: